Who would not want to move around with equipment that is so compact and engineered in a way that you can fold it into your pockets? A pair of mini/small binoculars just fits for your compact long-distance sighting needs.
For most equipment, portability is everything. There are sizeable binoculars that can cause some inconvenience when carrying them. However, the mini binoculars or opera binoculars as they are commonly called come in handy if you want ‘that level’ of convenience.
- 10x magnification and 50mm objective lenses, the Viper HD binoculars have an advanced high density optical system with enhanced anti-reflective lens coating for stunning image quality and top tier light transmission.
- Dielectric, multi-layer prism coatings provide bright, clear, color-accurate images. Coating on roof prism models enhances resolution and contrast.
- A compact, rubber-armored chasis and armortek coating ensures the Viper HD is ready for any hunt.
- Adjust the multi-position eyecups to maximize custom fit for comfortable viewing with or without glasses. A locking right eye diopter adjusts for focal differences between your eyes.
- Argon purged and o-ring sealed, the Viper HD defies the elements ensuring waterproof and fogproof performance, no matter the conditions.
You can fold some of these binoculars and put them in your purse, or even in your pocket! That way you have freed your hands for engagement in other little activities without your binoculars getting in the way.
If you are looking to purchase mini binoculars, it is necessary that you buy the best as there are products out there that give real value for every buck spent. There might be a few questions you need to ask yourself that will set you on the path to purchasing the right mini binoculars. This article means to identify some of these issues and give some answers that may likely be of help.
Best Mini Binoculars Buying Guide:
As mentioned earlier, there are a few questions you might want to ask yourself before going ahead to purchase that mini binocular. Some of those issues are:
Why a Mini Binocular?
As long as it is bird watching, hunting, sports or any outdoor activity, binoculars are necessary. If you are collecting geographical data or land survey, you most definitely will find the use of a pair of binoculars. However, if you were involved in sports, you would not want binoculars that could impede easy movements. Then, you will need a pair of small binoculars.
Bushnell Powerview Compact Folding Roof Prism Binocular
Also, if you are carrying lots of other equipment, your aim is to achieve convenience and utility. However, if you are to view birds, animals, traveling, hiking or seeing a plane that is not far away, you do not need a much-sophisticated pair of binoculars.
You may also need mini binoculars when you are going on backpack trips and want to cut down on the weight of stuff you carry. The size of a binocular varies with the size of its objective lens. The greater the magnification, the greater the size of the objective lens and hence the bigger the binoculars. Mini binoculars often have a narrower field of view because of this smaller objective lens.
Aside from being an excellently portable item, mini binoculars are very cheap, and in fact, they are cheaper than other binoculars. Top-of-the-list mini binoculars also offer a premium optical correction.
What are the Available Types of Mini Binoculars?
Hammers Mini Compact Small Auto Perma Focus Binocular
Unlike the full-size binoculars, mini binoculars are the smallest kind of binoculars available. These binoculars are built with the roof prisms, and that is why they possess their sleek alignment.
Compact binoculars, which are slightly bulkier than the mini binoculars, are mostly made using the Porro prism. The objective lens of mini binoculars is usually not more than one inch in diameter.
Originally, mini binoculars were designed for travel, and this explains why they are so lightweight, highly versatile and foldable. The small objective lenses in mini binoculars make it unsuitable for high-resolution activities such as serious bird viewing.
Mini binoculars also come in different designs. There is the Single Hinge design and the Dual Hinge design. The best small mini bins come with this Dual Hinge makeup, and most of them are made with roof prisms. However, the type of mini binos that you chose is strictly down to your needs and budget.
What is its Magnification?
All binoculars have numbers written on them. These figures are their power times their objective lens diameter in millimeters. Some binoculars like the ones used in naval ships have numbers like 40 x 178mm written on them. This means the equipment has a power of 40 and its objective lens diameter is 178mm.
A power of 40 means an observed object is 40times farther than it appears. Mini binoculars have their lens diameters at 30mm or below. Bigger lens sizes mean greater light capacity and brighter image.
It also means a bulkier pair of binoculars. It is important that you do not opt for mini binoculars with high power as it already has a narrow field of view due to its small lens size. Look for a mini that will help you strike a balance between the power/magnification and the field of view, without depleting it any further.
What is a Good Pair of Mini Binoculars Like?
When you want to shop for a good pair of mini binoculars, you should mostly watch out for three things, its weight, durability, and resistance to moisture and humidity.
A good pair of minis that is used for sports, traveling, hiking or camping, is supposed to be very lightweight and should be able to withstand drops. Sometimes, while engaging in an outdoor activity, you do not have to be bothered about your pair of binos when it is raining.
Where can I buy a pair of Mini Binoculars?
Mini binoculars can be purchased at several brick and mortar retailers. Local Sporting and Outdoor stores will have varieties of these mini binoculars. You can choose to order it online and online retailers like e-bay and Wal-Mart. These online retailers have hundreds of options of mini binoculars that you could ever want.
1. THE MINI COMPACT SMALL AUTO PERMA FOCUS BINOCULAR BY HAMMERS
Vortex Optics Viper HD
Every hunter, hiker or bird watcher wants to see distant bodies very clearly. Having a binocular is good and useful for this purpose but having a mini-binocular is a plus as you can still get good results without having to carry a heavy weight.
This Binocular has exceptional qualities. Its body is well coated with rubber for durability and longevity of the item. Also, it has auto-focus features which mean you do not have to run around when trying to focus on an object. This is a mini size optical instrument, and it is very portable and easy to carry around.
- The weight of this binocular is 0.4 pounds or 6.4 ounces. This means it is not heavy and it can be easily carried
- The item dimension of this binocular is 2.3 x 3.6 x 4 inches
- This product has a shipping weight of 0.4 pounds
- It has a 6X magnifying power
- It has an objective lens diameter of 18mm
- Its main body is coated with rubber
- It can be held comfortably. It is not slippery
- Included in the package are a neck strap and a soft carrying case
- Its autofocus feature is impressive
- It is useful for birding, hunting, and hiking
- It is effortless to use
All in all, this is an impressive item. Its magnifying power is not bad at all at its 6 times range, and it is affordable. It is durable and can be carried around comfortably whether you are a hunter, birdwatcher or hiker.
2. THE POWERVIEW COMPACT FOLDING ROOF PRISM BINOCULAR BY BUSHNELL
Leica 10×42 Geovid HD-B
This is a powerful magnifying mini binocular. It has a magnifying power of 8X, and its image clarity is superb. This mini binocular has a good field of view, and its lenses are well coated.
It is shock proof and Rubber-armored for durability. It does not slip from your hands when you are using it, and it is also compact. It is important to note that this mini binocular is not waterproof or fog proof.
It has a handsome look, and its design is attractive. A neck strap is attached to this item, and a carrying case is included in the package. It is suitable for rough and rugged use.
- This product has a shipping weight of 1 pound
- The lens of this mini binocular is well coated
- Its body is armored with rubber to make it more durable
- It is not waterproof and fog proof
- A center focus system is a part of its features
- It has an 8X magnifying power
- It is shockproof
- It is compact, lightweight, space-saving, and very easy to carry about
- Impressive range of view
This mini binocular is good for the price. Whether you are a hiker, hunter, birdwatcher, or an ocean-viewer, this piece of equipment is perfect for you.
3. THE QUNSE-PRODUCED MINI BINOCULARS WITH A COMPACT DESIGN AND A CRYSTAL CLEAR OPTICAL LENS
Vortex Optics Diamondback
As a traveler, you may be concerned about the weight and bulkiness of your binocular. Ideally, you will prefer something that you can easily carry with you on your journey. This binocular fits the bill. It is small and portable.
However, it is very powerful and efficient. The clarity of image it produces is top-notch, and it is very affordable. This binocular can be used in the rain because of its waterproof feature. However, it should not be immersed in water. Its main body is rubber-armored.
- It has a weight of about 0.44 pounds (or 7.05 ounces) which means it is lightweight
- It has a 10X magnifying power
- The diameter of its objective lens of 25mm
- It has a product dimension of 4.41 x 1.18 x 4.17 inches
- It has an impressive field of view
- The shipping weight of this item is 0.65 pounds
- It is both water resistant and fog resistant
- The lenses of this mini binocular are well coated
- The package also includes a cloth for cleaning the lens, a carrying case, an instruction guide and a strap
This mini Binocular brings far objects close to you and with maximum clarity. It is portable and compact which makes it a good fit for people that travel a lot. Also, the 10 times magnification power makes it worth checking out considering its decent price tag.
4. THE COMPACT TRAVEL MINI BINOCULARS BY USCAMEL
This is a handy binocular. It is compact, portable and small. It performs its functions very well. It is sturdy and solidly built, and the image quality is also good enough. This binocular is pretty easy to focus. Mountain climbers, fishers, hunters, birdwatchers and wildlife experts will find this item very useful.
- It has a product dimension of 3.54 x 1.57 x 4.13 inches
- The shipping weight of this item is 0.62 pounds
- It has a 21cm objective lens diameter
- It has a weight of about 0.55 pounds which makes it lightweight and easy to carry
- It is compact and has a space-saving design
- It has a handsome look
- It is both waterproof and fog proof
- It is rubber-armored, and this makes it tough and durable
- Its lenses are well coated for effective transmission of light
- Included in the package are a lanyard, a cloth for cleaning the lens, and a carrying case
Overall, the compact travel mini is an impressive binocular designed to save space while traveling. The binocular is a very lightweight at just about 0.62 pounds. Although it’s rubber-armored, this binocular is sturdy, and its lenses are coated for better transmission of light. All in all, this is a good mini binocular. The price of this item also makes a lot of sense.
It is quite easy to make the best decisions for mini binoculars to buy as it all depends on your preference. It is expedient to know the various kinds of mini binoculars and their features as this will help you in making an informed purchase of the equipment considering your needs and budget.
The importance of a good pair of binoculars during travel and other outdoor activities cannot be overemphasized as it might just take one second for you to spot that prize-winning buck!
- Best Mini Binoculars Buying Guide:
- Why a Mini Binocular?
- What are the Available Types of Mini Binoculars?
- What is its Magnification?
- What is a Good Pair of Mini Binoculars Like?
- Where can I buy a pair of Mini Binoculars?
- 1. THE MINI COMPACT SMALL AUTO PERMA FOCUS BINOCULAR BY HAMMERS
- 2. THE POWERVIEW COMPACT FOLDING ROOF PRISM BINOCULAR BY BUSHNELL
- 3. THE QUNSE-PRODUCED MINI BINOCULARS WITH A COMPACT DESIGN AND A CRYSTAL CLEAR OPTICAL LENS
- 4. THE COMPACT TRAVEL MINI BINOCULARS BY USCAMEL
- Final thoughts