Binoculars are devices that are used to enhance distant images to be viewed distinctly and clearly. The increasing demand for lightweight and compact binoculars is overwhelming as more people are discovering the advantages of having binoculars while hiking or camping, watching the ballet or theater, on holiday, or other events where their lightweight and portability is an essential factor.
- All MONARCH 5 binoculars are now built with Nikon's premium ED (Extra Low Dispersion) Glass for a sharper, clearer and more brilliant field of view
- Almost an ounce lighter than its predecessor, the new MONARCH 5 is even easier to bring along on your next adventure
- Fully Multicoated Eco Glass Lenses provide a high light transmittance across the entire visible light spectrum
- It is equipped with user friendly features such as Turn and Slide Rubber Eyecups, a Smooth Central Focus Knob and Flip Down Lens Caps
- Built for extreme use, the MONARCH 5 is waterproof, fog proof and has a rubber armored body for strengthened durability
About Lightweight Binoculars
A pair of binoculars consists of two small telescopes, which provides a magnified and clearer vision for the viewer. The popularity of this device is as a result of their visual capabilities; the comfort of use and portability being two essential factors when purchasing binoculars.
Every day, the market for binoculars is increasing. All binoculars are designed to gather light through objective lenses. Then the light is transmitted through a light pathway down to ocular lenses in the eyepiece.
The path where light passes through the objective lens to the ocular lens varies depending on the binocular type, and this has obvious effects on the weight and size of binoculars.
Why Choose Lightweight Binoculars?
The benefits are very obvious. You can easily keep lightweight binoculars in your bag or pocket and quickly take them out when they are needed. Lightweight binoculars are easy to hold and to use for long periods of time.
Lightweight binoculars are great for hiking and are comfortable to use with one hand while the other hand is free. They are also convenient to carry around while watching live sports, concerts and the likes. Lightweight binoculars are fantastic when you need to take a detailed or closer look.
How to Choose Lightweight Binoculars?
When selecting a set of lightweight binoculars, it is important to consider the factors which influence binoculars’ weight and size and to compare the advantages of lightweight and compactness with other factors such as objective lens size, quality, and required magnification.
What Factors Affect Size and Portability?
The major factors that affect weight and size are objective lens diameter and binocular design. Also, unlike standard-sized models, compact and lightweight binoculars will typically produce a smaller field of view.
Which Design can I go for?
Two designs are roof prism and Porro prism. They’ve got different styles of prisms for the transmission of light. Porro prism binoculars are traditionally designed with the eyepiece set closer together than the objective lens.
The eyepieces are usually further apart than the objective lens in compact models. Roof prism binoculars have got a straight design with the objective lenses and eyepieces at equivalent distances apart.
This results in a smaller shape. The tubes can be extended out and later folded neatly. Porro prism binoculars are traditionally known to produce brighter and clearer images, but improved technology has proved roof prism binoculars too also produce quality images.
Which Objective lens diameter is the best?
This is usually expressed in millimeters (mm) and written on the binoculars. It is the other number after the magnification. For instance, 10×32 binoculars have a 32mm objective lens diameter.
Compact binoculars are commonly known to have less than 30mm objective lens diameter. If you are looking for lightweight binoculars for general purpose, you can get them.
The downside of small objective lens diameter as that the lenses will not be able to gather as much light as larger diameters will do. Hence, they are great for daytime use only.
Can I go for a Wide Field of view?
The field of view is influenced by the design, size, and magnification of the binoculars. Porro prisms, larger binoculars, and lower magnification binoculars will typically produce a wide field of view. When choosing the best lightweight binoculars, look for one with a wide field of view.
What is a Good Magnification for Lightweight Binoculars?
Higher magnification will help you to see in more detail at a long distance. The downside to high magnification is that it is hard to stabilize the image being viewed.
When holding your binoculars, as your hands shake, the magnification is affected, producing a shaky image. A tripod will be required when magnification is higher than 10x. Lower magnifications have more stable images. Make sure you examine this when purchasing.
What weight exactly should I consider buying?
In general, a weight measuring between 200g and 500g will be considered to be very light binoculars.
Can I get Waterproof Lightweight Binoculars?
Yes, you can. Though, you need to note that there are different types of waterproofing available. Many vendors claim that they sell waterproof binoculars when they are rather models that are water protected only.
If you need good waterproof and lightweight binoculars, make sure you get ones which nitrogen purged. This is the charging of the body with dry nitrogen gas which will prevent fogging. Fogging usually occurs when there is a quick change in temperature.
The nitrogen purging will protect your binoculars from moisture and all types of water and prevent fogging. This also implies that the internal part of your lightweight binoculars will be protected from corrosion or rust; an added advantage if you will be using them on around water.
Which Brand has the Best Lightweight Binoculars?
When it comes to lightweight binoculars, the best optics are produced by European brands. This is the reason they are the most expensive brands. If you can afford them, Zeiss binoculars are one of the best around. Other affordable brands in this regard include Bresser,
Avalon, and Nikon. These brands all offer incredible lightweight binoculars for various types of users. With the affordable price, you can get a perfect pair of lightweight binoculars for long term use.
This is a very good optical instrument. This binocular is not heavy, and it is affordable. With this Nikon-produced binocular, you are sure to have a very good view even at a pretty far distance. It is very useful for hiking, viewing of birds and general hunting.
Its field of view and eye relief features make it appropriate for folks who wear eyeglasses. Also, the picture quality of this binocular is impeccable and incomparable. This instrument cannot be destroyed by water as it is both waterproof and fog proof. It has a rubber-armored body that makes it tough, strong and durable.
- It is both waterproof and fog proof
- The lenses of this binocular are well coated to enhance transmission of light
- The field view of this binocular is 288 feet
- The eye relief of this instrument is 18.4mm
- It is lightweight. It weighs just about 2 pounds
- It has an item shipping weight of 2.5 pounds
- It has a product dimension of 5.94 x 3.15 x 7.6 inches
- It has a 10x zoom ratio
- The diameter of the objective lens is 42mm
- The image quality is second to none
- The body is rubber-armored
- It is tough, strong, rugged and sturdy
Overall, this Nikon-made binocular is an impressive gear for any person looking for a great light binocular. It’s ten times magnification range, great eye relief, excellent field of view and a decent price makes it a top contender for the best light binoculars in the market and a very useful optical instrument. Also, the rubber-armored body ensures it’s built sturdy and durable.
2. THE IMAGE STABILIZATION II BINOCULARS BY CANON
This battery-operated binocular is useful for hunting, bird-watching, and travel purposes. It has powerful lenses, and it produces images that are sharp, bright, and crystal clear. The field of view is superb, and you can view even the farthest of objects.
Also, this binocular can effectively magnify objects to the maximum required level. It also has impressive eye relief features that ensure your eye is safe when using it. This is a compact and beautifully designed optical instrument. Another great advantage of owning this binocular is that it has very good image stabilization features.
- It has a dimension of 2.8 x 5 x 5.9 inches
- It has a maximum magnification of 10
- It is lightweight. It weighs just about 1.33 pounds
- The glass is lead-free
- This is a battery-operated binocular
- Its image stabilization features are quite impressive
- It has tough and rugged
- It is compact and good-looking. It has an impeccable design
- The quality of images it produces is superb
- The eye relief of this instrument is 14.5mm
- This binocular has an objective lens diameter of 30mm
- It features Porro II prisms which ensure that there is no loss of light
- It has an item shipping weight of 1.55 pounds
Hikers, hunters and other users of binoculars can testify to the strength and durability of this piece of equipment. Its features are impressive and remarkable and the most importantly, it is inexpensive.
3. THE AZ830 BY STEINER
Vortex Optics Diamondback
This is an easy-to-carry binocular. It is both beautiful and compact in design. It features a flexible silicon lens which adds to its ability to absorb shock. The body of this binocular is rubber-armored and it is a durable piece of equipment.
Also, this Steiner-produced binocular can easily withstand harsh and rugged use and its eye relief features are nothing but superb. It is sturdy, lightweight and long-lasting and it produces crystal clear and razor sharp images. This is an excellent binocular for your viewing pleasure.
- It has a product dimension of 2.2 x 4.2 x 6.7 in
- It has an item weight of 1.2 pounds which makes it lightweight
- It does not require the use of batteries
- It is not fogproof
- It features auto-focus system. So, you do not have to run around in an attempt to focus objects
- It features a flexible silicon lens which enhances its shock-absorbing properties
- It is compact and easy to carry
- It is tough and sturdy and can be used for rough and tough purposes
Overall, this is an impressive piece of item. It is compact and easy-to-carry, so you have nothing to worry about if you have to take it along to your favorite destinations. This binocular is useful for hikers, birdwatchers, and hunters. It is also amazingly affordable.
4. THE BX-1 YOSEMITE BY LEUPOLD
This is an excellent instrument with exceptional features and qualities. This binocular has a wonderful eye relief feature that makes it safe for use by folks who wear glasses. Another impressive quality of this binocular is the fact that it has a beautiful and compact design.
This binocular cannot be destroyed or hampered by water because it is waterproof. Also, this binocular can produce good and crystal clear images. It is also lightweight and easy to carry about. This binocular can also be used when wearing glasses.
- It is lightweight. It weighs just about 1.063 pounds
- It has a product shipping weight of 1.7 pounds
- It has a compact and space-saving design
- It has a handsome look
- This Leupold-produced binocular is waterproof
- It has an eye relief of 18.5mm
Whether you intend using it for hunting, hiking or bird watching, this binocular can do the job. It is wonderfully crafted, and it gives you bright and clear images so that you do not have to strain your eyes.
When deciding to go for a lightweight binocular, you already should bear in mind that you are after comfort and won’t have to drag a gear weighing 10 pounds on long distance hikers or sightseeing expeditions. This article covers all you need to know about getting the best light binoculars and a review of some of the best light binoculars in the market.
Having read this buying guide, you should know the requirements to examine as well as how much to spend in purchasing the best lightweight binoculars of your choice. Now get out there and pick your choice. Good luck!
- About Lightweight Binoculars
- Why Choose Lightweight Binoculars?
- How to Choose Lightweight Binoculars?
- What Factors Affect Size and Portability?
- Which Design can I go for?
- Which Objective lens diameter is the best?
- Can I go for a Wide Field of view?
- What is a Good Magnification for Lightweight Binoculars?
- What weight exactly should I consider buying?
- Can I get Waterproof Lightweight Binoculars?
- Which Brand has the Best Lightweight Binoculars?
- 2. THE IMAGE STABILIZATION II BINOCULARS BY CANON
- 3. THE AZ830 BY STEINER
- 4. THE BX-1 YOSEMITE BY LEUPOLD
- Final Thoughts